2016 is upon us, and no doubt some of us have created New Year’s Resolutions or goals for the year. The New Year is exciting that way – a chance for a new beginning. But, most New Year’s resolutions are not kept. In fact, something like only 4% of them are actually realized. So, we need some back-up. We need to make sure that what we are choosing is really what we want. It’s about following your dreams and your passions, what your soul is trying to tell you that you need. When we find THAT thing that sets our soul on fire, it’s much easier to make it happen.
How can we do this without losing momentum. Or if we do lose that momentum, how do we find that eye of the tiger again (did you hear the theme song to Rocky in your head, like me?)? It’s important to keep growing our dreams, our goals and aspirations. Partner with someone that will hold you accountable. Make sure they encourage you along the way and are not feeding you any negativity or sucking the life out of you (you know that person, right?). This is about empowering ourselves to achieve that goal and grow that dream. So, water them and feed them. FEED YOUR SOUL – replenish yourself regularly. Life is too short not to follow our path – YOU ARE NEEDED.
If you are still looking for your path, know that it will be illuminated at the right time and when YOU are ready. No comparing yourself to others. That’s just a great way to be disappointed and really stop the momentum.
If you KNOW that now is the time, and you have made the CHOICE to do something about it, then try these tips to keep growing those BIG, BEAUTIFUL DREAMS OF YOURS:
1. Examine the hurdles that are stopping you from growing your dreams and meeting your goals. For example, some of us want/need to get healthy. This is an important goal – we likely recognize the importance and have very beautiful reasons for doing it (love for your children, wanting to feel good and have energy, and hopefully love for yourself), but it’s time to dig deep and determine what stops you from doing it. Find a quiet space, grab some paper and start writing what pours out. BE HONEST, RAW, AND REAL – YOU CAN DO THIS!
2. Once you know what is stopping you, OWN IT! Take accountability for the stuff that is coming up for you and acknowledge the significance in your life (or lack there of). When we bury feelings deep down and do not deal with them, we think that it’s gone. The truth is we are only hurting ourselves more. These things that we bury just keep showing up in different ways until we deal with them. And NEVER be afraid to ask for help with this. Find someone that you connect with and work with them. There are so many beautiful people in this world that can help.
3. So you know what is impeding you and you’ve owned your own baggage. YOU now have a CHOICE – are you READY TO LET IT GO (yes, this is a choice and YOU have the power to say when!)? This is one of THE most powerful things we can do – LETTING GO (was Elsa right?! I also apologize to anyone that has that song in their head now). Yes, there will still be emotions to deal with and things that pop-up, but guess what? You have freed yourself from something – you are now fighting the good fight without one arm tied behind your back. You know this no longer serves you and you have said ENOUGH!
4. Keep working those DREAMS and GOALS! As you do the work above, keep nurturing the overall goal that you are working to accomplish. You don’t need to stop pursuing it because you are working through some stuff. Take steps, even if they are baby steps!
5. GIVE YOURSELF SOME CREDIT! Raise your hand if you are your own worst critic (yes, you). My goodness, if you could only see what we see! LOVE YOURSELF! I promise you that when you really do that, your world will change. Why? You no longer accept things that are not for you because you recognize your value, you will set better boundaries, and will also be able to help others more because you are energized and whole. So when you take a step toward your goals and dreams, GIVE YOURSELF SOME CREDIT! When you are working on letting go of feelings and emotions that no longer serve you, GIVE YOURSELF A HIGH FIVE because you just took a HUGE step toward realizing your DREAMS!
I can’t say it enough – you are AMAZING! I feel like this article has been all about being your cheerleader – like the Universe is trying to show you that YOU CAN DO THIS! Yes, there is some work involved, but it’s the best kind of work! As usual, take what resonates for you and throw the rest out.
Share this with someone you think can use a pick-me-up.
And I am always sending you LOVE, LIGHT & HUGS!